Saturday, February 15, 2020

In Humility, Our Burdens Are Hefted

For this week's insight sharing assignment in the religion course (REL 275C - The Teachings and Doctrine of the Book of Mormon) I'm taking through BYU-Idaho online, I've been given permission to utilize an assignment I've also been working on this week in my communications course (COMM 130 - Visual Media).  

In my Visual Media course last week, we learned about and analyzed common design elements used in magazines. This week, we designed our own single page and corresponding 2-page spread.  One of the assignment requirements was that we utilize an article or talk from our church's website or BYU-Idaho's news website.  Another requirement was that we needed to utilize at least 2 photographs that we took ourselves during this semester.  My mind immediately went to a the snapshot I took with my cell phone of a winter sunset behind the large cross outside the Methodist church in Eagle River where my Great Aunt Kathy's funeral services were held last month.  Though I understand why members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints typically don't wear or display crosses as symbols of faith, I love the symbolism of the cross that so many Christians worldwide use and have used for many generations.  At that, I decided my second photo would be one that features a cross necklace a friend gave me a while ago who said she thought of me when she saw it; what a kind and touching compliment that I may never feel deserving of.  I wear that necklace occasionally, not so much to remind me of Christ, but to remind me of my own potential and that maybe, just maybe, I'm doing something right with my life.  

With my visuals mostly planned out, I set out to find my spread's content.  Imagine how thrilled I was to remember a recent talk from a recent conference that was centered on the concept of taking up our own crosses!  The talk I chose is from October 2019 General Conference, delivered by Elder Ulisses Soares, titled "Take Up Our Cross." 

Elder Soares said something that spoke to my quiet love of the symbolic cross:

Jesus purposely and metaphorically used the symbol of a cross to help His disciples better understand what sacrifice and devotion to the Lord’s cause would truly mean. The image of a cross was well known among His disciples and the inhabitants of the Roman Empire because Romans forced victims of crucifixion to publicly carry their own cross or crossbeam to the place where their execution would occur.
I imagine that back then, the aforementioned victims forced to carry their own cross were compelled to do so by means of physical punishment and torture.  On the way to Golgatha for His crucifixion, Christ carried His own cross, willingly.  The son of God, on His way to his final saving sacrifice and act of love, set an example of incredible humility.  Christ carried His cross; more than just the huge heavy beam.  He carried His burdens, the things weighing heavy on His heart, and exercised faith in the grimmest of times.  He set the ultimate example for us to follow, so are we?  It's something to think about, for sure.  

Thinking about the example Christ set for us during His life, but especially during His last days as a mortal being, reminds me of Alma 32 and the blessings of humility.  It discusses the whole concept that those who are compelled or forced to be humble by reasons of circumstance, etc. are blessed, and those who are humble without the need to be compelled are blessed even more.  Where here do I stand? How about you?

Elder Soares's talk reminds us that taking up our own cross or burdens requires humility, faith, patience, and the ability to endure; never give up.  It includes other wonderful gems of wisdom that I believe individuals of many faiths can really appreciate.  If anyone is reading this, please take some time to read his message.

Below is the magazine layout I created (1 single page and a 2-page spread) with Elder Soares's talk, two original photos of mine, and one of my favorite Latter-Day Saint artist's portrayal of Christ (quote added); if you haven't checked out Liz Lemon Swindle's art, please do! If you want to read a fabulous story about the man who is the model behind that gentle face of Christ, check this out too!

The smaller images show the whole layout so you can see how it works together.  Below them are larger sizes of each page where more detail is able to be seen.

Thank you for sharing this time with me today.  Know you are loved and can handle anything life hands you.  You got this.  We got this. I believe in you, and so does your Heavenly Father. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cannot say something nice, please, do not say anything at all. Thank you.